Here are some questions to get you started
Writing a good press release starts with asking the right questions. And while it's important to be able to ask "dumb" questions without sounding dumb. it's also important to be organized and prepared for your SME interview.
Here are some basic questions to use with client subject-matter experts, or SMEs:
- What are we announcing? Why is it important?
- Who should care and why?
- What evidence/proof points can support specific claims?
- How does this fit into the larger company story?
- Who would you like to quote in this announcement?
- Who should care and why?
- What customer problem does this product/solution address?
- What are the top three business benefits?
- What are the top features?
- How will it help customers/what market challenge will it address that has never been solved before?
- What is the anticipated timing for securing a new customer based on this product?
- Who are some of the customers that are being targeted for this solution? Who is the ideal buyer?
- Do you have a customer and analyst we can quote in this announcement?
New Executive Announcements
- What attracted you to company? What is it that made you feel like this would be the perfect fit?
- What are some key successes from your career, and how will these help you in your role?
- What strengths do you bring to the table?
- What are your immediate next steps in your role?
- What's your long-term vision for core responsibility?
- What excites you about industry, and what are some trends you’re seeing that point to why company is the right choice for customers?
- Can you share more specifics on the partnership?
- How will this impact customers of both organizations?
- How will this impact the market?
- Do you have a joint customer we can quote in the press release?
- What is the first step now that a partnership is in place?
- What is the final funding amount? [If this follows a previous funding round] Which round is this?
- Which investors are involved/should be mentioned, and who led the funding round?
- Is there preferred market data we can cite in the release to demonstrate market size/growth opportunity?
- [If this follows a previous funding round] Are there any data points we can share on your’ growth and momentum since your last funding round?
- What do you intend to do with the funding?
- What are your future growth plans?
- What’s next for the company?
- How will this funding impact your end customer?
- In addition to the CEO quote, would you like to include an investor quote? (IG can provide an initial draft.)
- What messages are you wanting to send to the market about what you've accomplished and where you're heading?